Living spirituality in our time. A pilot project with the Nordic "Folkehøjskole" model
Gomde, Denmark 19-25 July and 26 July - 1 August, 2021.
Seminar 1 - The Buddhist Impulse
Seminar 2: Climate, Creativity and Love
What is Gomde Højskole?
The contemplative Summer Institute at Gomde DK is the first of its kind. It started as a pilot project merging the ideas of the danish "Folk High School" tradition and different contemplative traditions in our times - with tibetan buddhism at its roots.
The summer seminars are now an annual tradition and will be held at Gomde Denmark, a Buddhist retreat center in the beautiful Nordic high summer at Helgenaes, Denmark. The seminars are particularly aimed at young adults, creative souls and anyone shaping their life. The two seminars can be taken separately or together. They will be an opportunity to
- deepen your understanding and practice in meditation and contemplative philosophy
- Explore how contemplative and active life can coexist and interact in our time
- Hear inspiring lectures that open debates on green, social, aesthetic and everyday lifestyle dimensions connecting with contemplation, meditation and Buddhist insights
- Participate in projects building or planting something that will stay at Gomde (orchards, greenhouses…) – projects that you will be able to return to visit at Gomde years later, and many may also take something home in the form of practical “green” skills.
- Meet friends who share your interests in meditative / spiritual depths in life.
- For those who want it, there will be an opportunity to articulate, reflect and present your own “contemplative project”. How can you describe the heart of your own study or career project? And how do we give sensitive, truly listening feedback to each others ?
- Swimming, hiking, singing… Two weeks of summer holidays in the midst of Denmark’s prettyest countryside. There will be much space and time for silence and contemplation – but also for celebrations, bonfires and music.
When contemplating, you are not occupied with accomplishing, being or having something - you rest or flow wakefully in deeper layers of existence.
An important beginning
Mystery and Modernity
19 - 25 July, 2021
"Spirit" is coming to life, in new and ancient expressions,
even in a time with much surface. Explore it in body,
everyday habits, societies, buildings, nature, the planet. With Tor Nørretranders, Erik Pema Kunsang, Lone Fjorback, Anna Mette Exner and others.
26 July - 1 Aug, 2021
Friendships, communities, wisdom traditions - in classical sources and contemporary experience. Gain insight in meditation as a process of fundamental connectedness.
With John Dunne, Andreas Doctor, Madhurima Rigtrup and others.
We have found a “dream team” of teachers and contributors who will open explorations from some very different approaches to living spirit in our time. Some of them are buddhist teachers or people who teach within other contemplative traditions, others come from scientific and social engagements where the contemplative may be set in motion.
You don't need to be a Buddhist...
…or lifelong meditator - in order to participate. The seminars are spaces for exploring and deepening some of the many ways that contemplation – rooted in Buddhist meditation and philosophy as well as other traditions – is becoming an essential part of our culture’s resources. This is for everyone. You can learn to meditate here, you can leave out the practical part for now, or you can deepen and share what you have practiced for many years.
Read more about venue and practicalities here.